What Is Orthopedics?
Orthopedics is a branch of medicine that tries to prevent and correct problems that affect bones and muscles, including tendons and ligaments. Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare is home to nationally and internationally recognized leaders in pediatric orthopedics.
See why Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare is one of the best children’s hospitals for pediatric orthopedics.
Conditions Orthopedics Treats
Systemic Conditions and Disabilities
Some complex conditions affect the entire body, and can cause orthopedic issues. Orthopedics can be part of a comprehensive treatment plan for systemic conditions like:
- Cerebral palsy.
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
- Muscular dystrophy and other neuromuscular conditions.
- Osteogenesis imperfecta.
- Spina bifida.
s10投注网址Learn about orthopedic care as part of comprehensive treatment specifically for children who have cerebral palsy.
Lower-Extremity Orthopedic Conditions
Lower-extremity conditions affect the legs and feet. Orthopedic treatments are used for conditions like:
- Bowlegs (also known as varus knee deformity) or Blount’s disease.
- Flatfoot (also known as pes planus).
- Foot and toe deformities (congenital and acquired).
- Knock knees (also known as valgus knee deformity).
- Limb-length discrepancy and limb differences.
- Osteochondritis dissecans.
- Patellar instability and patellofemoral pain.
- Rotational and alignment issues, such as femoral anteversion or tibial torsion.
- Skeletal dysplasias.
Hip and Spine Orthopedic Conditions
s10投注网址The hip and spine conditions that often require orthopedic treatments include:
- Developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH).
- Hip impingement (also known as femoral acetabular impingement).
- Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease (also known as Perthes disease).
- Scheuermann’s disease.
- Scoliosis (idiopathic, neuromuscular and congenital).
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis.
- Spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis.
Upper-Extremity Orthopedic Conditions
s10投注网址Upper-extremity conditions affect the arms and hands. Orthopedic treatments are used for conditions like:
- Birth brachial plexus injuries.
- Conditions of the hand, such as trigger thumb, syndactyly, macrodactyly and congenital amputations.
- Fractures (traumatic and pathologic).
- Limb-length discrepancy and limb differences.
Sports Injuries, Trauma and Infections
Orthopedics can help when your child experiences an injury, trauma or infection, such as:
Tests and Treatments
You’ll have access to the latest technology and techniques in orthopedics at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare.
Some of the available orthopedic tests and treatments for children, teens and adults include:
- Gait and motion analysis.
- Limb-length surgery.
- Ponseti method for clubfoot.
- Radiology and imaging tests.
- Single event multilevel surgery (SEMLS) and various individual orthopedic surgery procedures.
- Orthopedic spine surgery, such as spine fusion.
- Magnetically driven growing rods to treat spine conditions.
- Vertical expandable prosthetic titanium rib (VEPTR) surgery.
If your child has a condition that can be diagnosed prenatally, such as amniotic band syndrome, clubfoot and limb or spine deformities, you might meet with an orthopedist for a prenatal consultation. During a prenatal consultation, you learn about the condition and current treatment options, get help planning a course of treatment for your child, and receive counseling.
Acute Orthopedic Treatment
s10投注网址At the Gillette Acute Orthopedic Clinic, your child is evaluated and treated for complex injuries and infections of bones or muscle. You can take advantage of same-day appointments and 24-hour provider consultations—giving primary and urgent/emergency providers instant access to our specialists.
The Acute Orthopedic Clinic is not a “walk-in” clinic, staffed by general practitioners. Instead, most people are referred for a timely visit with a highly trained pediatric orthopedist, without the need for an emergency room visit.
In addition, expert orthopedists provide coverage and care for Minnesota’s first Level I Pediatric Trauma Center, which Regions Hospital operates in collaboration with Gillette. From the moment of injury, our collaboration with Regions Hospital allows your child to receive care that minimizes pain and disability, while maximizing recovery.
s10投注网址The Gillette orthopedics team is composed of experts who’ve chosen to specialize in the unique needs of children, teens and adults who have highly complex conditions. At Gillette, you’ll benefit from expertise gained in more than 115 years of providing orthopedic care and pediatric orthopedic surgery.
You’ll work with one of the highest concentrations of pediatric orthopedic surgeons in the nation. The size of the team allows for a degree of subspecialization not found at other facilities.
With both pediatric and adult-focused providers, you’ll be working with experts who specialize in highly complex conditions and injuries. As your child gets older, Gillette will support your family in making the transition to adult-focused health care—older teens and adults can benefit from Adult Services.
s10投注网址If your child has a complex disorder, you might be working with providers beyond pediatric orthopedics. Count on Gillette to bring together services in a way that’s both comprehensive and convenient. Orthopedists often collaborate with providers in:
Services vary by location. For all locations, visit Locations .